Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oh, The Meaning of "I Love You"



<3 I wrote this a couple of days ago, and figured I would wait to post it until Valentines day. The day that is designated to the Romantic kind of Love and ends up reminding people that without this kind of love, they aren't loved at all. And though I haven't ever had a valentine, I know that I am loved. today, I want to tell you what love means to me. Real love.
One night, I was pondering what it meant to love someone. What do you mean when you tell someone "I love you"? What deep meaning does it hold? Why should that person hold onto those words that you utter? So commonly, "I love you" seems tossed around, losing a little something along the way. Like the passion behind it, the meaning behind it becomes a routine and before long they are only words in a moment. So I broke it down.
The word "love" has seemed to lose its meaning. Love has seemed to take on a romantic connotation. Love is so much more than that! The word "like" has taken on a life of its own as well. Love has been the level above like. If you don't full on Love a person, you say you like them, most commonly on a romantic standpoint. So when I am asked, "So, (there's always a so) do you like someone?" I want to answer back, "I like everyone! But in the narrow meaning you imply, no, I don't like someone in hopes to someday love them romantically." Love is God. Love is the moment when Christ gave his life. Love is the moment when God's pursuit of mankind after their fall began. Love is the God who never leaves. Love is more than just hearts on a page or three little words. Love is a mission, a purpose. Love cannot be described, though many times we have tried. It can be described just as much as God can fully be described and understood. But regardless of the unknown of love, I must love. As a Follower of Christ, I am called to love all just as Christ did, Just as God still does. I have found that love heals the wounds that time
Then I thought of the word "you". Who are you? are you just a person reading this in this one sole moment? A person who lacks feelings, experiences, a past, a future, a purpose? No, of course not. So when we say we love someone, we aren't talking to a person who is just a figure that brings us to somehow love them. They are a creation of God, just as we are. We are so much deeper than skin deep and so much more than the smile in a crowd or a laugh in a noisy room. As are they. When we say the word "you", with it comes the persons past, future, purpose and all that they are. Christ followers are called to love as Christ did; unconditional and relentlessly regardless of their past.
So I want you to know, I love you. not in a love, mushy, romantic way, but in a Jesus way. In a God way.
I'm not the only one either. I love you and so does Jesus, regardless. Nothing can keep you from the love of God.
Absolutely Nothing.
I am glad to have the opportunity to love you.
Till next time,I love you! <3