Thursday, April 16, 2009

I feel Weird...


Today is one of those days. You know, one of those days where you just feel completely weird?
Well first off, its Day Without Shoes day by TOMS shoes. I'm not wearing shoes today. Because I'm not wearing shoes, I can't eat. I know what you are thinking- "Barefoot... Eating... Foot... Mouth...HUH?!" According to California Health regulations, we can't go into the Cafeteria barefoot. Don't ask me why. Somehow i got to get breakfast without them noticing my feet were naked. But to me, my grumbling tummy is the small price I can pay. You see, people die from being barefoot. Yes, DIE. Disease is common and fatal. Many have to walk miles to get food or water. Children can't go to school because they don't have shoes. And if they were here on the CBU campus, they couldn't eat here either. If they can't eat here, i won't. I could easily put on flip-flops for a couple of minutes so I can get some food. But in my heart, I just can't. I can give up a few meals because I'm barefoot today. I'm not dying like they are. Their life is far more important to me than my empty stomach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUSTOe-fiyI&feature=player_embedded
Another reason why I feel weird today? I found out that the clothes that I am wearing today, my whole outfit actually, was made in sweatshops. If you don't know what sweatshops are, find out. Sweatshops are overseas factories run by store companies (mainly clothing companies) that abuse their workers. I first heard about them when I read Irresistible Revolution. The author told of a story of a little boy who worked in such a factory. He wasn't working hard enough. His overseer hit him on his face and he began to bleed. To keep the blood from getting everywhere and to get him back to work, the overseer puts a lighter to the bleeding wound to make it close up. The boy now has a scar across his face- the price he paid for the shirt on my back. I paid probably 6 dollars or so for my shirt ( I get most of my clothes on clearance). It was probably originally about 15. That child got 13 cents in a DAY. a DAY, not for my shirt, a DAY. My shirt caused him pain. I feel like my clothes are splattered with proverbial blood. Why have we let clothing become more important than a life? More important than a child who barely gets by and is considered lucky to make my shirt? I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to keep my clothes. part of me wants to get rid of them, because I played a role in allowing people to be abused for my shirt.
http://www.geocities.com/whydoyoukeepdeletingme/ASSLLeague.html
And then there's another thing. (well there could be a lot more things but this is it.) Since when did our safety take priority? I was talking to a girl from back home about how we really wanted to go back to Mexico. She informed me that our church, who frequently goes down to Juarez twice a year, may not go anymore indefinitely because IT'S NOT SAFE. I don't remember anywhere that Jesus said "Go when it is safe for you to go, your freed life is worth more than their lives bound by the chains of Satan." You tell me where that verse is, and i will shut up. Can't tell me, can you? Sure, Christ can tell us when it is safe to go and if not, not to, but Safety shouldn't be the deciding factor. Jesus Christ, the one who DIED for us, said "GO all the nations." he didn't say only the safe ones or when its easy. he says GO, Go regardless. Christ didn't promise life to be easy. He promised us to give us life to the full but not a life full according to the worlds standard. He didn't promise safety but he promised to protect us and be with us always, as we don the full armor of God because it's war. No, it's not easy, it's not safe. The sooner we realize that and live accordingly, the more we can be used by God.

Thanks again for reading.

I hope these are actually making people think.

love you all!

Amy <3

No comments: